Translate this page!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Round Mountain, Loveland, CO- (5/27/2013)





Location: Round Mountain, Loveland, CO
Date: 5/27/2013
How far we went: 9.2 miles
How long it took us: 6:15:29
Elevation reached: 9461
Weather: Warm and very sunny

Wow, what can I say about this trail? When we arrived it was already beginning to be very hot. We saw a woman ahead of us come walking back exclaiming there was a bear ahead and that she was turning back! We decided to forge ahead and met up with an artist painting the overlook of the road below. She noted she heard something large rustling in the trees/bushes. At this point I thought to myself that there is no way I am turning back now because I wanted a picture of the bear. To no avail I never got that picture as Mr. Bear eluded us for our duration on the mountain. At first I didn't think much of the hike. A slow ascent to the top over 4 miles. Your progress is tracked by four markers appropriately labeled 1, 2, 3, & 4. Some really nice views are spread throughout the hike with changing scenery are altitude increases.  In the spring/summer there are some beautiful plants and flowers to excite the senses but I had no clue what was waiting for us at the top.
When we finally reached the top we were somewhat disappointed that there wasn't a clear summit or view from the top. Then we noticed a GIANT pile a trail magic type of rocks... With curiosity we approched and found a metal tube with a resealable top with a notebook and a pen inside. It read "Round Mountain Log: In memory of Nick Brant, who loved this mountain. 2012" ... What was this? A memorial? I've seen them on hikes before but for this reason it really struck my emotions. Deeply. Here I was bitching about how this hike wasn't on par with our other adventures and then I came across this memorial and everything changed. I saw what this mountain meant to Nick and all the beautiful messages that travelers have left for him along with the massive pile of stoned that had been amassed in only 1 year. What a sight. I'll admit I wept on the top of the mountain that day. I will never forget that moment. Even though here in CO I have scaled peaks in the snow, rushed down class 4 river rapids, and skied terrifying black diamond slopes, I can honestly say that this moment was more special to me than all of them combined. I Googled his name but nothing came up. I really wish I knew who he was. Hopefully, someone will see this who knows what his story is. I would love nothing more than to hear it. If you know, please contact me at trailmixxxx@gmail.com

Anyways, do this hike, leave Nick a nice message at the top and appreciate every day you have with nature and the ones you love.










No comments:

Post a Comment